From Weight-Loss to Running; Fitness Journey of a Busy Mama to 3

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 9; body image and the media


What are your thoughts on body image and the media?

It's been a BIG deal these days, huh? OR for as long as I remember!!

I remember when I "matured" physically, when HIPS appeared, when I became uncomfortable in my own skin because I didn't look like those girls in the magazines. That's how we spent our time in middle/high school, reading magazines, for the boys, the girls, the fashion, the music...before school, lunch, in class. It's silly thinking about it now. The media had me all wrong. I broke through that around junior year, I stopped being uncomfortable, I stopped comparing myself to them. 

When it comes to television, It's just ridiculous. The infomercials for weight loss solutions like, diet programs, diet pills, home workouts, reality shows. Don't get me wrong, it can help, boost or change people. Sometimes it's just overwhelming.

Foods, oh the foods, that promote low calories, healthiest choice, and all that other stuff. That's even more overwhelming. Sometimes, I just stick to fresh produce, and even then you have organic to choose from. It never ends....sometimes you just got to take it or just run the other way!


In my opinion, it shouldn't necessarily be how you look, what should matter is that you're healthy and love your body. Whatever weight you're at, embrace it. And, if you're on your fitness journey, don't let the media choose your goals. If you're not happy with your body, only you can change that. Make it happen! I'm finding it challenging to tone my body, it's definitely HARD work, I know I won't have a six-pack tomorrow, eventually, maybe I will. It's what I chose for my body!!



"Don't wait to for inspiration to find you; BECOME IT!!"

2 comments:

  1. I agree...it should be all about being healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I agree it should be about health and not appearance. My own take on media/body image comes from a different perspective: I used to be an actress.

    Here is my post with the video clip from my episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
    http://sheslosingitdotnet.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=871&action=edit&message=6&postpost=v2

    Lisa
    http://sheslosingit.net

    ReplyDelete